Addington Palace History
tep back into our fascinating history.
With a past that predates the Doomsday Book, a superb 163 acre landscaped Estate and Award Winning Hospitality, Addington Palace is surely one of England’s best kept secrets…
The presence of the ‘Great and the Good’ dates back to King Henry VIII where he held clandestine meetings with Anne Boleyn in his hunting lodge. Archbishops have lived here and subsequent generations of musicians have trained here.
The history of Addington Palace begins with a Manor House, which was here before the Norman Conquest. However the Palace really came to prominence in 1771 when Barlow Trecothick, an Alderman of the City of London, began planning his new country mansion – a spectacular Palladian-style residence with two main storeys incorporating single-story wings and pavilions.
By 1807, this beautiful mansion and estate had become the exclusive country retreat for the Archbishop of Canterbury. It was used by no less than six Archbishops – five of whom are buried at St. Mary’s Church in Addington Village.
The landscaping of the 163 acre gardens was designed and developed by the renowned Capability Brown, much of which is still as he planned it. In the years that followed, the Palace was sympathetically enhanced by the architect Richard Norman Shaw who added many fine features including the Great Hall.
In more recent times the Palace served as a Red Cross Building in the First World War, in the mid 1920’s became the Golf Course Club House and then for 43 years was the home of the Royal School of Church Music.
For the past twenty years the Palace has run as a prestigious Hospitality and Wedding Venue that has become synonymous with comfort, elegance and style that has seen it awarded the coveted “Ambassadors of London” Award and in 2002 hosted HM The Queen’s Golden Jubilee celebrations.
The Palace has a pedigree, that is as rich as it is varied and whilst only a few miles from London is a million miles away in terms of tranquillity and hospitality…